This is the next post in my series of lunchbox roundups that features different types of lunchboxes I pack for my daughters. I post them almost daily on my Pinterest and Facebook pages, so make sure to come by and say hi. Here I am sharing some soup-based lunchbox ideas that I have packed recently.
Now that the weather is cooling down, I’ve been packing a soup-based lunchbox more frequently. Soups and stews travel and keep well when they are packed in a thermos. You can heat up the leftover soup (or some soups can be packed cold) and fill your thermos in the morning. Along with the soup, I’ll also pack some fruit and vegetables and some kind of starch, like crackers or a sandwich.
I typically just put the thermos in a convenient side pocket of Planetbox lunchbox bag. It is a little bulkier and heavier this way, but it is a small price to pay for a bowl of hot soup on a cold fall or winter day!
Soup-based Lunchbox ideas
Below are several soup-based lunchboxes (including pictures and ingredients) I have made for my daughters in the past.
- Lunchbox #1 Ingredients:
- Lentil soup
- Cucumber and tomato
- Banana, strawberries, and a few cookies
- Lunchbox #2 Ingredients:
- Chicken soup in thermos
- Green beans with miso dressing
- Cantaloupe and strawberries with mini marshmallows
- Lunchbox #3
- Tomato soup and ham sandwich
- Mini-smoothie (love how small they are) for a treat
- Lunchbox #4 Ingredients:
- Chicken soup in a thermos
- Grapes and cherry tomatoes
- Half of a wholegrain bagel
- Lunchbox #5 Ingredients:
- Chicken veggie soup
- Wholegrain bagel (kid size) with smoked salmon
- Carrots and tomatoes with hummus
- Lunchbox #6 Ingredients
- Lentil soup in thermos (I added about 1/2 teaspoon miso to each)
- Boiled egg
- Lavash bread, grapes, apple chips
- A piece of candy
- Lunchbox #7
- Lentil and kale soup
- Salmon sandwich
- Grapes, banana, and carrots
- Jelly beans
Here are some of the earlier lunchbox-themed posts that you may find useful:
The Art and Science of Packing a Lunchbox
Involving kids in lunchbox preparation
Pasta and Noodle Lunchbox Roundup
Rice and Grain Lunchbox Roundup
Stay tuned for more lunchbox round-ups!
Tell me what is your child’s favorite lunchbox item?