We love this banana bread recipe because the result is light and not too sweet. It is equally good with berries or chocolate. Enjoy it as a snack, dessert or even a healthy breakfast! Try spreading some honey, nut butter or cream cheese on it.
To save time, make a double batch and freeze one loaf for later.
Banana Bread ( Adapted from “Gayle’s Feel-Good Foods”)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 very ripe bananas, smashed
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips or 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
– Heat the oven to 325 F.
– Lightly grease a 7.5 by 3.5-inch loaf pan.
– Using a whisk or an electric mixer, beat the egg and honey until light, about 5 minutes. Mix in mashed bananas, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla.
– In a separate bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and fold gently until just mixed. Fold in the chocolate chips of blueberries. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
– Bake the banana bread until golden brown on top and a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out dry, about 45 minutes.
– Cool on a rack.