I am always looking for easy iron rich recipes to add to our family repertoire. With three growing children, it may be a struggle to find a nutritious recipe that everyone likes. So when I discover one, it is definitely feels like a big win.
These turkey-hummus-basil patties are great for kids of all ages, including babies. Just make sure to omit the soy sauce to cut on the sodium content (babies under 1 do not need a lot of salt in their diet).
Hummus is a surprising ingredient in this recipe but it does a wonderful job making the patties super moist and, of course, adds some good nutrition from the chickpeas. Basil gives a hint of flavor that all my kids loved.
So if you feel like you are stuck in the rut making the same meatballs, I encourage you to try these turkey patties – they are very easy to make, have few ingredients and taste delicious.
We love eating them with a simple starch like rice, mashed potatoes or quinoa on the side and a salad or veggie crudités on the side.
I usually cook the starch as I am making the patties, so the whole meal can be made in under 20 minutes – perfect for those busy weekday nights.
The Best Basil and Hummus Turkey Patties (Perfect for BLW)
- 800g turkey mince
- 4tbsp hummus
- 100g (1/2 cup) breadcrumbs
- a generous bunch of fresh basil, leaves roughly chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce (avoid if you have babies to feed)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, for frying
- Preheat the oven to 200C/390F
- Place all the ingredients for the patties in a bowl and mix together
- Form 12-14 patties
- Heat a frying pan on a medium heat, pour the olive oil and cook the patties in batches, on both sides, 1-2 minutes on each side
- Finish cooking in the oven for 5-7 minutes
- Serve with your favorite starch and veggies.
Get more baby led weaning recipes:
Starting solids the easy, safe and stress-free way!
Let me show you how to feed your baby using the mixed approach, so you can be guided by your baby and not by a rigid philosophy.